Kitchen Basics is an adult cooking class series led by our experienced instructor, Kellyn Powers.
This month’s class will cover stocks and broths from start to finish! We will go over how to make stocks and broths, how to cool and store them properly, and what to do with leftover ingredients. Students will receive written notes and will have the opportunity to try the stocks and broths as we go.
About Our Instructor:
Kellyn Powers is a graduate of Indiana University, mother of two young girls, and holds an intense fascination with food anthropology; specifically, with how food effects our quality of life, mental and physical health, and how food can be used to improve our relationships within our families and communities.
Kellyn has 15 years of experience in the food and hospitality industry, in the midst of which she graduated from The Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts in Boulder, Colorado in 2013. The program focused on “bare-bone” techniques in the kitchen, primarily using a knife, an oven, a whisk and a bowl to concoct all sorts of delicious foods. Outside of the kitchen, Kellyn studied modern agriculture to become more conscious of our food and where it comes from.
Kellyn’s style of cooking is an eclectic mix of healthy comfort food. Just because it is good for you doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice taste, texture and quality of a meal!
Yoga in the Catacombs, presented by the YMCA at the City Market and the City Market, returns for the second year.
You’ve never taken a yoga class quite like this! Join us deep in the historic City Market catacombs for an workout experience you won’t forget. Spine tingling live music will be performed. Are you brave enough to find your center while things go bump in the night? All ages and skill levels, from first time yoga participants to the brave, returning veterans from last year’s event, are welcome to Yoga in the Catacombs!
Give back while having fun
Yoga in the Catacombs raises funds for the YMCA at the City Market‘s Annual Campaign, which provides scholarships for Y memberships and programs, keeping the Y accessible to all, regardless of income or financial circumstances. $22 out of every $30 ticket sold will go back to the Y’s Annual Campaign. Last year, the event raised over $3,000. Help us double the amount raised to $6,000 this year!
GET YOUR TICKETS! – CLICK ON A SESSION TIME BELOW
The cost for the one-hour yoga session and 20-minute historical tour of the City Market catacombs is $30.
- Tickets for Session 1: 5:30 -6:50 p.m.
- Tickets for Session 2: 7:00 – 8:20 p.m.
- Tickets for Session 3: 8:30 – 9:50 p.m.
$30/session (includes a 1 hour yoga session and 20 minute historical tour of the City Market catacombs)
What you need to know
- What are the floor conditions in the catacombs? The catacombs have an all dirt floor. The YMCA will provide spray bottles and towels to help clean off mats and clothing after each session.
- What is the temperature down there? The catacombs stay at a pretty constant cool, but not chilly, temperature. You may want to bring a jacket.
- Where do I park? There are parking meters all around the City Market campus. Public parking is available in the eight-story Market District Garage less than a block away on 101 N. New Jersey St.
- Will there be extra mats? We strongly encourage you to bring your own mat. The YMCA will have a VERY LIMITED number of mats available. We cannot guarantee a mat for everyone.
- Where do I check in? Check in at the YMCA at the City Market located at 242 E. Market St. After all guests in your party are checked in, you will be escorted to the catacombs 15 minutes before your session. Please arrive early to allow time to check in.