Find Chronic Disease Prevention Programs
The YMCA offers community-based healthy aging and chronic disease prevention programs and services that support people in changing their lifestyles, managing stress levels and adopting beneficial fitness and nutrition behaviors for every stage of life.
Please visit the Member Services Desk, Call or click View Dates and Times for registration and additional program information.
Helping Adults with Arthritis or Limited Mobility
Stay active, energized, and empowered in this proven, community-based fitness and arthritis management program.
Safe, yet challenging, low impact exercises help adults of all fitness levels live independent lifestyles. This program is nationally recognized by the leading US health organizations.
- Enhance Fitness is designed for adults with Arthritis or mobility challenges/limited mobility.
- Through EnhanceFitness, participants will work to: increase flexibility, relieve stress, improve arthritic joint stiffness, and decrease their risk of falls and injury.
- All exercises may be performed seated or standing.
- Classes are one hour, 3 times per week and led by a certified instructor. They begin with a warm-up period, followed by work with light soft-weights, and finish with a cool-down session.
For more information, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org or call 317.269.6004.Email Us
REDUCE YOUR RISK FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program helps those at high risk adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles and reduce their chances of developing type 2 diabetes
The program is based on the landmark Diabetes Prevention Program
The program is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which showed that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach will help you change your lifestyle by learning about healthy eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, you will meet monthly for up to a year for added support to help maintain your progress.
- Evidence-based to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
- The program emphasizes two primary goals: reduce body weight by 7% and increase physical activity by 150 minute per week.
To sign up, participants must be:
- At least 18 years old;
- Overweight (BMI ≥25) AND diagnosed with prediabetes via a blood test of gestational diabetes.
- If a blood test is not available, can qualify based on risk factors.
For more information, please email us at email@example.com or call 317.269 6004.Email Us