Find Family Programs & Activities
At the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis, we believe that spending time together as a family includes participating in fun activities, supporting each other through healthy living, and knowing you’re in a safe environment that will always be there for you.
We want to promote a healthy and supportive environment with activities for the entire family. Consequently, our goal is to help families build stronger bonds and be involved in the community, all while having fun. We accomplish that providing a family-oriented atmosphere for our members. Therefore, the Y will always be here for your family, whether it’s for a parent’s night out, participation in one of our many sports leagues, classes or clinics, or just enjoying each other’s company at one of our many family-oriented events. The Y has everything you need to make a change.
Unless otherwise noted, please visit the Member Services Desk for registration and additional program information.
With Kids Night Out, parents enjoy a night out while kids engage in fun and safe activities at the Y
We know parents need a break from time to time while kids enjoy games, crafts, and more centered around a unique monthly theme. Kids play in the Play and Learn Center while adults can enjoy an evening out. These specially themed evenings include crafts, games, dinner, physical activities and lots of fun!View Days & Times
In our YMCA Play and Learn Centers, your child will experience all kinds of fun and engaging activities while you enjoy your work out!
At the Y, we believe that “play is the work of young children, and is the foundation for learning.” Our Play and Learn Centers offer children the opportunity to experience curriculum-based learning activities in a fun and nurturing environment.
Our trained staff can care for babies 6 weeks and older, and we have activities geared to toddlers and for children up to 10 years of age. A few of our locations also have Play and Learn amenities geared to pre-teens (ages 11-12); please ask at your local Y.
- Use of our Play and Learn Centers is included FREE as a part of YMCA household memberships.
- Play and Learn Centers are available at 11 of our 12 locations (the YMCA at the City Market is the only exception).
- Members may use our Play and Learn Centers for up to two hours per day while you are onsite at our facility.
- For Play and Learn hours of operation, please visit the Location Info tab and “hours” for your YMCA location of choice.
Phone: (317) 881-9347
Gymnastics / Tumbling
Our parent/child classes promote early motor development, while they explore the gymnastics events. These mostly unstructured classes encourage free play using age-appropriate gymnastics equipment. These kids are moving and gaining independence. Come along as they hop, climb, swing, and balance in this fun filled class!Email Us
Water Access for Very Exceptional Swimmers (Ages 3+).
WAVES is a 40 minute class designed to benefit people with special needs.
This program encourages participants to use their physical attributes to the best of their abilities, while enhancing their spirits and minds with positive reinforcement. (Parents may be encouraged to swim with younger participants.)View Days & Times
This program introduces infants and toddlers to the aquatic environment
Parents accompany children in stage A, which introduces infants and toddlers to the aquatic environment through exploration and encourages them to enjoy themselves while learning about the water.
- Blow Bubbles – on surface, assisted
- Front Tow – chin in water, assisted
- Water Exit – parent & child together
- Water Entry – parent & child together
- Back Float – assisted, head on shoulder
- Roll – assisted
- Front Float – chin in water, assisted
- Back Tow – assisted, head on shoulder
- Wall Grab – assisted
View Days & Times
This program focuses on exploring body positions, blowing bubbles, and fundamental safety and aquatic skills.
In stage B, parents work with their children to explore body positions, floating, blowing bubbles, and fundamental safety and aquatic skills.
- Blow Bubbles – mouth & nose submerged, assisted
- Front Tow – blow bubbles, assisted
- Water Exit – assisted
- Water Entry – assisted
- Back Float – assisted, head on chest
- Roll – assisted
- Front Float – blow bubbles, assisted
- Back Tow – assisted, head on chest
- Monkey Crawl – assisted, on edge, 5 ft.
View Days & Times
Semi-Private swim lessons are great for siblings, family members, and friends
These lessons allow two or more participants of similar skill level and age to learn together. Participants will receive eight thirty minute lessons with flexible scheduling that can be customized to your goals and needs.View Days & Times