The annual citywide event kicks off with food, activities, networking and more in the heart of Downtown Indianapolis
Biking to work is a growing trend in many major cities, including Indianapolis. IndyCog, CIBA, Indy Bike Trains and the YMCA at the City Market are just a few of the many local organizations that encourage and partner with cyclists to help Indiana residents achieve this healthy habit.
This year’s event is Friday, May 18, 2018 on Monument Circle
Activities will be happening all day on the Circle starting with a traditional Bike in Breakfast and ending with a Happy Hour celebration of bicycling organizations throughout the region, with some Handlebar Hot Laps in between. Ride downtown and join your fellow bike riders to celebrate using bicycles for transportation and how far Indianapolis has come with bicycle friendliness. Light refreshments will be provided by Whole Foods Market, Au Bon Pain, and Bee Coffee Roasters.
CIBA and Indy Bike Trains are organizing a series of group rides, or bike trains, from locations around the city to downtown on Bike to Work Day. These trains are a great way to commute with a group of other riders. Check out the map below for the locations of these trains, and the distances and departure times. Please note, some of the rides DO NOT have a group return ride at the end of the day, so please plan accordingly!
Click on the image to see the full bike train map!
Activities for the day include free all day bike parking at the YMCA at the City Market, free breakfast, and the chance to learn more about the Indianapolis biking community.
Bike to Work Day Timeline (times and events subject to change)
- 5:45 – 6:45 AM | Bike Trains depart from various starting locations across the region to ride downtown
- 7:00 AM | Monument Circle opens to bicycle commuters and closes to cars
- Temporary parking by Pedal &Park. Complimentary breakfast by Au Bon Pain, Whole Foods Market, and coffee served by Bee Coffee Roasters
- All day bike parking (showers & lockers included) is available in the Indy Bike Hub at the YMCA at the City Market
- 7:30 AM | Comments by representatives from the Indianapolis cycling community, including IndyCog Executive Director, Damon Richards
- 7:45 AM | Comments by Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett
- 8:00 AM | Blessing of the Bikes
- 9:00 AM | Morning activities end to prepare for Handlebar Hot Laps preliminaries
- 11:00 AM | Downtown Indy, with Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Handle Bar, presents Handle Bar Hot Laps
- 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM | Bicycle happy hour: meet representatives from more than two dozen bicycling organizations and learn about their activities
- 7:00 PM | All-day parking expires at the Indy Bike Hub at the YMCA at the City Market