It takes 20,000 gallons of water to fill the pool!
Published: Thursday, November 29, 2018
The new OrthoIndy Foundation YMCA is opening Dec. 3, and we’re so excited! We’ve pulled together a few fun facts and tidbits to jazz you up too!
By the numbers
- More than 50 free classes a week
- 65 pieces of cardio equipment including treadmills, ellipticals, rowers, upright and recumbent bikes
- More than 60 hours of open gym time a week. At nearly 7,400 square feet, the gym is so large that you can play pickleball, volleyball and basketball at the same time.
- It takes 20,000 gallons of water to fill the pool. With nearly 10 hours of open swim time a day, the pool features 4 swim lanes, a therapy area, and zero depth entry. One of the spray features is a 15 ft. x 5 ft. frog, which was so large that the builders had to remove a window to place it in the facility.
- 12 pieces of adaptive or adapt-able cardio strength equipment
- 11 laps on the indoor track make a mile.
- SALUTE, an 8-foot sculpture featuring 5 service men and women greets guests at the entrance
- Up to 2 hours of free child care each day for members
- Approximately 33 contractors were used to build OrthoIndy Foundation YMCA.
Did you know?
- The OrthoIndy Foundation YMCA is the first in the nation to have an onsite medical clinic for veterans.
- With special thanks to the OrthoIndy Foundation, every YMCA in Greater Indianapolis has a health partner.
- This Y will be dedicated in honor of the Senate Avenue and Fall Creek YMCAs that proudly served Indy’s African American community from 1913 to 2003, nearly 100 years!
- Every YMCA in Greater Indianapolis has a chapel/reflection room and volunteer chaplains.
- The OrthoIndy Foundation YMCA and Irsay Family YMCA are the only local Ys that have a demonstration kitchen and an outdoor terrace.
- College Park Church will hold services in the gym on Sunday mornings beginning in January.
- Fitness challenges – Inspire Indy 5K series presented by Delta (8 runs throughout the year), Cycle-A-Thon, Weight Loss Challenges, Small Group Training, Personal Training & Buddy Training
- Tournaments & clinics – Kick-, Volley-, Basket-, Wiffle-, Pickle-, Dodge-, Boccia, Flag Foot- Ball, and cornhole and lightsaber tourneys!
- Holiday & seasonal events – Valentine’s dances, egg hunts, pool parties, trick or treating, breakfasts with Santa
- Health and hiring fairs, lunch and learns, teen nights, Kids Night Out and more
A global movement in our own backyard
Y members get to be part of a global movement that strengthens our local communities and builds strong spirit, mind and body for all. Don’t delay, the join fee will be waived for those who become a member of the OrthoIndy Foundation YMCA by Dec. 3!