Scholarships available for low-income families

There will soon be more preschool options in Lebanon, Indiana! The Witham Family YMCA is undergoing a renovation to increase capacity for the Early Learning Center. The $94,000 project uses funding provided by the United Way of Central Indiana and the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis that will allow them to double its capacity for preschool, jumping from 18 to 36 students served each school day.

The project will convert existing space at the YMCA into two classrooms and add two restrooms. United Way of Central Indiana will provide 80 percent of the project cost and the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis will provide the other 20 percent. A $10,000 Annual Campaign contribution from Witham Health Services will fund scholarships for low-income families.

An Investment in Youth

preschool kids“United Way of Central Indiana is proud to partner with the Witham Family YMCA as they continue to enhance their child care programming though a facility expansion,” said Anne Gabbart, United Way of Central Indiana’s Early Childhood Project Manager.“ This added space will offer our community’s children and families the best environment for quality education and learning opportunities.”

Witham Family YMCA executive director Kim Newnam says, “The Witham Family YMCA is committed to strengthening Boone County through healthy living, youth development and social responsibility. We believe strong communities are possible only when we invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors. Our preschool program helps us deliver on this promise to the community.”

Growing Demand

The Y began a part-time preschool program in August of 2016 and reached maximum capacity in its second year. Over 40 families are currently enrolled for the 2018-2019 school year, up from 28 last year. Staff anticipates serving 60 families in the expanded preschool area this year.

“Community leaders expressed a need for additional quality childcare options and that demand continues to grow,” said Chelsea Walls, senior program director at the Witham Family YMCA.

How to Enroll

The Y’s preschool will open this fall as a registered ministry that accepts federal Child Care and Development Funds and enrolls in the state of Indiana’s Voluntary Certification Program, with a goal of achieving a Level 3 Paths to Quality rating within two years. Children ages 2 – 5 can attend two, three or five days a week. Part-time and full-day options are available.

To enroll and for more information, contact the Y at 765-483-9622. The YMCA of Greater Indianapolis offers seven part-time and five full-day preschool programs throughout Central Indiana.

Aug. 6 Ribbon-cutting

A ribbon-cutting will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 6 at the Witham Family YMCA to kickoff the new school year and mark the opening of the expanded preschool.

Media Contact: Nikki Richards, Witham Family YMCA | 765-535-7921