Circle City and the YMCA have come full circle
The YMCA’s global mission—to build healthy spirit, mind and body for all—has been actively engaged in Central Indiana since 1854, nearly 165 years! The breadth of service and impact is unmatched by many nonprofits. Currently the 19th largest association in the nation, the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis boasts 12 YMCA centers, a beautiful 240-acre overnight camp, and Youth Development and Intercollegiate branches.
Last year, the association provided $7 million in Y scholarships and underwritten programs, and its 3,000 passionate employees served more than 250,000 people of all ages and backgrounds.
Indy—a lively, thriving city on the rise
Nestled in the heart of the Heartland, Indianapolis is known for fast cars, its thriving, walkable downtown and burgeoning suburban neighborhoods. Indy has gained acclaim for a flourishing culinary scene, lively arts and cultural districts, affordability, Hoosier Hospitality, and so much more. Learn more about the Circle City and surrounding communities at nomeancity.com and visitindy.com.
STRENGTH IN LEADERSHIP, INNOVATION
This fast-growing YMCA boasts world-class facilities and demonstrates strength in fiscal responsibility and excellence in safety practices and standards. The culture of “freedom with accountability” has enabled new, innovative programs and greater impact in the seven-county area it serves.
The YMCA of Greater Indianapolis has established itself as a national leader in:
- Hospital/YMCA partnerships – Has a health care partner in each of its 12 centers.
- Chronic disease prevention – Founded the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program.
- Church/YMCA partnerships – Employs a chaplain to enable the Y’s Christian Emphasis.
- Before and After School programs – Indy’s largest provider serving students in over 100 school and Y locations.
- Service to Military Veterans – Will open the first YMCA in the nation to house a Veterans Clinic in December.
- Diversity and inclusion – Received the Mayor’s Award for Best of the Best in Diversity and was an early adopter of the YMCA’s Diversity, Inclusion & Global (D.I.G.) program.
- Intercollegiate YMCA – Taps into service-minded student leaders from nearby Butler University, IUPUI and University of Indianapolis.
- Financial development – Received record donations to its Annual Campaign and was recognized with the Y’s national Eagle Award in 2017; also has a strong Heritage Club and endowment.
- Community-building through Collective Impact Coalitions focused on Population Health and Early Childhood Development
GROWTH & IMPACT OPPORTUNITIES
While Indy is thriving, our communities have room to grow in the areas of health and wellness. Indiana consistently ranks low on national health indexes and has higher than average number of people who smoke or live sedentary lifestyles. With a strong presence and brand in the community, the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis is poised to raise the bar on health and fitness in Central Indiana guided by a 5-Year Strategic Plan and with focused effort in these areas:
- Continued growth in: the YMCA-Diabetes Prevention Program, mergers and new YMCA development in suburban areas, volunteer service opportunities, and revenue through membership, government grants and the annual campaign
- Strengthened Board and governance and a stronger employee experience
- Enhanced Youth programs that address youth equity
- Developing mental health partnerships
- Completing the Master Plan for overnight camp
Drop in any YMCA in Central Indiana to meet our staff and learn more!