Chronic Disease Prevention
Embrace a Healthier You
Discover YMCA programs for a healthier life, including diabetes prevention, fitness, and stress management.Register
YMCA's Life-Changing Programs for Wellness and Disease Prevention
The YMCA offers community-based lifestyle change, healthy aging and chronic disease prevention programs and services that support people in changing their lifestyles, managing stress levels and adopting fitness and nutrition behaviors for every stage of life, including: YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program, Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring, LIVESTRONG (cancer survivors), Enhance Fitness (Arthritis management), and Moving for Better Balance.
Take Control of your life
According to the Center For Disease Control, Chronic Diseases are responsible for 7 of 10 deaths each year. Treating people with chronic diseases accounts for most of our nation’s health care costs.
The YMCA of Greater Indianapolis offers Lifestyle Change and Chronic Disease Prevention Classes for everyone.
Find the right class for you and start making healthy choices that will improve your life and reduce your risk of Chronic Disease. You can take control of your health, and the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis is there with you, every step of the way.
Chronic Disease Prevention Programs
Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program
Helping Adults with Hypertension
In support of Million Hearts® efforts, the goal of this evidence-based program is to help participants lower and control blood pressure through self-monitoring.
Participants work with trained Healthy Heart Ambassadors to record their blood pressure readings using an easy-to-use, self-selected tracking tool and, over four months, are encouraged to:
- Self-measure their blood pressure at least two times a month
- Attend two personalized consultations a month
- Attend monthly nutrition education seminars
- Participants must be at least 18 years old, and
- Diagnosed with hypertension
For more information, please email us at email@example.com or call 317.269.6004.
Helping Adults with Arthritis or Limited Mobility
Stay active, energized, and empowered in this proven, community-based fitness and arthritis management program.
Safe, yet challenging, low impact exercises help adults of all fitness levels live independent lifestyles. This program is nationally recognized by the leading US health organizations.
- Enhance Fitness is designed for adults with Arthritis or mobility challenges/limited mobility.
- Through EnhanceFitness, participants will work to: increase flexibility, relieve stress, improve arthritic joint stiffness, and decrease their risk of falls and injury.
- All exercises may be performed seated or standing.
- Classes are one hour, 3 times per week and led by a certified instructor. They begin with a warm-up period, followed by work with light soft-weights, and finish with a cool-down session.
For more information, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org or call 317.269.6004.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA (cancer survivors)
Supporting Cancer Survivors on Their Journey to Recovery
In 2008, the YMCA of the USA partnered with LIVESTRONG to help cancer survivors begin the journey toward recovery with the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program.
Part of the Y’s commitment to strengthening community through healthy living, the program offers adults affected by cancer a safe, supportive environment to participate in physical and social activities focused on strengthening the whole person, not the disease. The 12–week program meets twice a week for 90 minutes, using traditional exercise methods to ease survivors back into fitness and help maintain a healthy weight. Also learning about wellness, stress reduction techniques and how to continue healthy habits after the program has ended.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA encourages a warm spirit of community – a safe, comfortable place for you to build companionship with others affected by cancer and share stories and inspiration.
How Does the Program Work?
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA focuses on the whole person, not the disease.
The FREE, 12-week program meets twice a week for 90 minutes, using traditional exercise methods to ease survivors back into fitness and help them maintain a healthy weight. They’ll focus on:
- Building muscle mass and strength
- Increasing flexibility and endurance
- Improving confidence and self-esteem
- Learning about wellness, stress reduction techniques and how to continue healthful habits after the program has ended
Just as important, this program encourages a warm spirit of community – a safe, comfortable place for survivors to build companionship with others affected by cancer and share stories and inspiration.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA staff have been specially trained to work with cancer survivors and patients – we follow American College of Sports Medicine and American Cancer Society exercise guidelines. Our LIVESTRONG staff members are exercise experts who can understand their unique concerns and help address them safely.
Mood Lifters is a peer-led mental wellness group program (offered online or in-person) in which you will learn proven strategies in a supportive group setting. The group is made up of people like you, who share similar challenges and goals, and guided by trained leaders who have benefitted from the program themselves. At the end of the program, you will know what strategies work for you and how to apply them in your everyday life.
This 15-week class is:
- A program to learn practical, science-based strategies to help yourself feel more mentally fit.
- A way to access support without the long wait.
- A good choice for adults who don’t want, can’t afford or want to supplement traditional therapy.
- Limited scholarships are available.
Moving for Better Balance
Help Prevent Falls
Moving For Better Balance works to improve balance, muscle strength, flexibility, and mobility to enhance overall physical health. This leads to better functioning in daily activities. Participation in the program may also result in better mental health, reduced stress, improved memory and cognition, and increased self-esteem.
- The program is led by a qualified instructor who teaches an eight-form routine of Tai Chi-based movements, modified specially for falls prevention
- Classes are one hour, 2 times per week and led by a certified instructor
Diabetes Prevention Program
Reduce Your Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program helps those at high risk adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles and reduce their chances of developing type 2 diabetes
The program is based on the landmark Diabetes Prevention Program
The program is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which showed that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach will help you change your lifestyle by learning about healthy eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, you will meet monthly for up to a year for added support to help maintain your progress.
- Evidence-based to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
- The program emphasizes two primary goals: reduce body weight by 7% and increase physical activity by 150 minute per week.
To sign up, participants must be:
- At least 18 years old;
- Overweight (BMI ≥25) and diagnosed with prediabetes via a blood test or risk factor survey.
- If a blood test is not available, can qualify based on risk factors.